5 Apps to Build a Meditation Habit
Maybe you’ve been meditating before smartphones existed, or maybe meditation made it to your New Year’s Resolution list and you’re not sure where to start. Wherever you are on the meditation spectrum, there are a number of useful apps to make meditation more accessible.
I’ve tried a few apps myself, especially helpful when my Lenten commitment was 15 minutes of daily meditation, and many more have come out since.
Here are the most popular meditation apps to test out for yourself!
10% Happier was created for skeptics who want to learn the basics of meditation and build from there. This app gives a clear, simple approach to meditation. Author Dan Harris (Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics) teamed up with some of the most respected meditation leaders to teach the basics of mindful meditation and help people keep their practice going.
- 7 completely free introductory course and mindful meditations
- Different subscription levels give you access to more features
- New monthly content to deepen your practice and keep things fresh
- Daily videos teach you meditation in a simple streamlined manner
Intended to bring more clarity, joy, and peace to your daily life, Calm offers 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 minute guided meditations so you can easily find a length to suit you at all times, everyday. Calm is perfect for beginners, yet offers many programs for intermediate to advanced users. Free basics, premium subscription and/or in-app purchases.
- Daily Calm: updated daily 10-minute guided meditation
- Unguided timed meditation
- Exclusive music to choose from
- Sleep stories designed for adults to lull you to sleep
- 30+ nature scenes to choose from
With the free Basics pack, beginners learn the essentials of living a healthier and happier life through meditation and mindfulness. Users upgrade by subscribing to gain access to more advanced packs and hundreds of more meditation packs from sports, to healthier relationships, to anxiety, sleep, and more. Subscription is $12.99/month or $94.99/year.
- Varied length guided meditations; bite-sized minis, singles, and full packs
- SOS exercises for sudden meltdowns
- Personal meditation guide
- Meditations for kids
Simply Habit is designed to empower super busy people to stress less, achieve more, and live better. Because, offering 5 minute guided meditations, you’re able to fit it in no matter how tight your schedule. By meditating just 5 minutes every day, users will improve focus, sleep better, relax faster, breathe easier, and more. And, while limited access is free, unlimited premium $11.99/month or $95.99 for the year.
- Meditation guides from Google Mindfulness experts to monks
- Track your progress with Mindful Minutes
- Situation specific meditations; commute, wake-up, tough day at work, etc.
Insight Timer is primarily a free meditation app, big on community. You quickly see, simplicity is what stands out from this app. It includes, a simple timer with your choice of bells, duration, and thousands of meditations at our fingertips. For added features you’ll pay $2.99/month.
- Playlists for different focuses; anxiety, sleep, relaxation, etc.
- Track stats and milestones as you practice
- Join local meet-ups and discussions run by other users
- Enjoy over 7,000 meditations, music tracks, talks, and courses
I work with women on their motherhood journey, when stress feels at an all-time high. Having a fresh perspective and someone to cheer you on and vent to helps! Email me at Samantha@simplywellcoaching.com and during your free 20 minute Discovery Call we can decide if you’re a fit for health coaching!