Snack Smart on the Go!
How many times have you been running errands that you thought would take an hour, and 2 hours in you’re nowhere near home? It’s those times that resisting a drive-thru donut or chocolate infused “coffee” becomes nearly impossible! While grabbing a quick sugar fix seems like an easy way to stop your growling stomach and give you the boost you need to make it through the line at Target, it will be short lived.
Whether you’re camped out in a waiting room or stuck at your desk well past 5, when your energy is draining you need a snack with power. The first priority of a solid snack is protein. Protein is essential for our bodies to grow, it keeps our energy up, helps us concentrate, and builds our muscles. After that, you want some healthy fats and unprocessed carbs. Healthy fats (think nuts, avocados, flax seed) boost your immune system and are essential for your brain to function at its best.
“Great! But how do I do that when I’m not in my kitchen?” I’m glad you asked!
Here is a list of my go-to snacks to-go:
A few pointers:
- I like to buy in bulk; large containers of greek yogurt and cottage cheese, so I spend a few minutes dividing it into my small Rubbermaid containers, so I can mix in what I want and toss it in my bag.
- To save time, buy single serving containers of spreads like peanut butter and hummus.
- For hard-boiled eggs, either boil a whole container in bulk and peel OR buy pre-boiled and peeled eggs at the grocery.
For even more ease, stock up on these snacks that require absolutely no prep:
- Energy/Snack bars (click for my top picks!)
- String Cheese
- Low Sugar Instant Oatmeal (use a hotel coffee maker for hot water)
- Fresh Fruit/Veggie Snacks (apples, oranges, snap peas, mini bell peppers all travel well)
What are your favorite snacks to bring with you?
For healthy meals when you’re on the road, check out my list of the Best Healthy Food Options on the Road!