Behold the power of the mighty oat! Growing up, my dad often made homemade oatmeal for breakfast and I loved it then as much as I love it now; but now I know just how good it is for you. Maybe I don’t have to convince you to add oatmeal as a staple to your diet but if I did; this would be my case:
- They help lower cholesterol via the high fiber content that removes it from ending up in the bloodstream
- They help stabilize blood sugar
- They substantially help lower the risk of type 2 diabetes
- They are high in fiber, low in fat and high in protein, helping you feel fuller for longer
- The phytochemical, plant lignans, found in oats, help protect you from heart disease and cancer
- They enhance the immune response to disease
- They are DELICIOUS!
Ok, that last one is purely opinion but please trust me on it! You can find oatmeal in the cereal aisle at the grocery but please beware of the instant packages. Most instant oatmeal contains an absurd amount of sugar; upwards of 12 grams per tiny bag! Even Kashi, a brand I trust, has 7 grams. Better, but nothing you can’t beat by making your own with quick cooking rolled oats.
Before you abort mission at the words, “making your own”, hear me out! You don’t have to stand over a stovetop to make a delicious bowl of hearty oatmeal. All you need is a microwave and a spoon and you’re good to go. Here is my standard oatmeal recipe (which i mix in a large mug because it tastes better that way) plus some mix-ins for variety since you’ll want to eat this often.
To make it even more creamy I sometimes add a spoonful of greek yogurt. You can add more or less milk depending on the consistency you like your oatmeal and do watch while it’s in the microwave because it can bubble up and there is nothing worse than an overflowing oatmug in your microwave. To make at work you can mix everything in a small tupperware (one that you trust with liquid!) at home, and nuke it in the microwave whenever you’re ready to eat. I even make mine the night before.
I hope you enjoy and please share any toppings you like to add!